Monday, March 2, 2009

the pursuit

I'm in somewhat of a zone musically. It seems to be navigating me lately. I just hold on and try not to squeeze the moment. I'm tooling around with my trumpet again. I'm in the midst of a tour and what do I do? play with the trumpet of course. LOL. It's been a minute since I've actually practiced with it. Ironically I'm told it's the hardest brass instrument to play. I'm the only one in my entire family able to play it. That's big magic considering how gifted the family is as a whole. I find a sort of serenity that escapes me during marathon recording or production rehearsals. I used to have an electronic mute that had ear plugs to allow one to rehearse without anyone else being disturbed. The weirdest thing is that when I hold it I remember what miles told me when I asked him why he pointed his bell towards the floor when he played. He answered that I should play the motherfucker any way I chose. How true is that about my entire life?

No comments: