Monday, August 3, 2009

Creativity or Hubris

I wrestle with the landscape of digital everything. When I played at Electric Lady as a drummer, there came the onslaught of the electric drum machines. Acoustic nightmare as it were however, it's always about the bottom line with Labels. Quite a few cats had to drop the sticks and either learn another instrument or play in in the Mountains of eastern Europe. Some even turned vocalist, although I couldn't even think of singing lead unless the crowd is tone deaf.

Presently we've come full circle. The technology gives the artistically challenged, kings and queens of........ So I forge on with the band. We've been blessed with a measure of success that seems to be ever growing. Like Walfredo Reyes Jr. told me,"cream must rise to the top. Music has to come back to the masses". So we embark on a multi country tour, to send out this light. Render while trying to stay away from the narcissism of the "look at me" trip.

Finally it's about keeping the music different yet commercial enough to put butts in the seats. The artistic struggle of purity vs. practical in the land of capitalism on the decline. With the heavy dosage of social sites and television reality (LOL) shows, one must get seen or heard at any cost in orser to feel they exist. Subjective exposure to the extremes (Beyonce) that doesn't seem to require even thinking of giving back to the community that supported your work. Award shows, and Amos and Andrew comedy movies. Heavey terrain to navigate if you're speaking of being creative or actually different than the herd. I guess I choose the work. The way they're still dogging MJ. The public will watch you burn over and over, then look for the next victim. Hubris is a bitch. I choose creativity.

No comments: