Friday, June 12, 2009

Assembly lines and such

When I was a child, the young girls used to play with Barbie dolls. There was also a few with the easy bake ovens. Plastic boxes with a light bulb inside to heat dough. The fellas had G.I. Joe action figures which were actually dolls for guys LOL. I thought of this the other day while watching a demo video sent to us. The females seem to strive for that Barbie look with the pasted smile and super stiff gestures and the straight hair with blond highlights. It was then I thought of the music. Sampled digital synthesized sounds as though it came out of that easy bake oven. I mean you could close your eyes and imagine the songs just dropping off the assembly line. On the side of the fellas, everyone claimed to be harder and tougher than the next. However with few exceptions, the gear was the same. Boots, caps, and dog tags. Uniform without purpose but mandatory I imagine to sell the theme. G.I. Joe is back LOL. Is it that we're just hearing them come out with what they have in the first place? mediocre talent and extreme ambition? or does the times of originality and substance work on a strict cyclic regimen? either way those toy makers from the past now seem like prophets.

No comments: